Here's how it happened...

I got an email from Ruth (who conquered 18 miles yesterday!!) with a link to a blog with a link to a blog with...  You get the idea?  So, this chain of links led me to Jeff Galloway's book.

I've mentioned before that when I allow myself walk breaks, my time ends up faster...go figure, I said.  Ruth had some interesting things to say about that topic that reflect the Galloway approach.  Scheduled walk breaks are a way to better your time, saving your legs for later in the run, says Mr. Galloway.

You may recall that I'm to run a 12 mile mountain race.  (Mountain, being the key word)  You may also recall that it is in less than 2 weeks and that my longest long run lately has been 5 miles.

It stopped raining.  I went out with thoughts of being lucky to accomplish 8 miles which is pushing it since I haven't built up to 8 lately.  I knew that the only way I'd make it would be with walk breaks.  I put my new watch on my arm and set out to prove to myself that I could do at least 8 miles....you know, unless I couldn't.

I set my timer for 5 minutes of slow running and then made myself walk for a minute, also with the timer.  Over and over.  Now, my route has hills, so I think I should have set the timer for even less running and even more walking.  Nonetheless, I went 10 miles.  My legs were soooo tired by 8, probably because of the hills, but the mountain run is super hilly for the first bit.  So, maybe, with walk breaks, I'll make it on September 5th!!  My time was still super slow, so I don't know about the Galloway theory of walk breaks making your time faster, but I'm now hopeful to finish.

Comments

Ruthie said…
oh I love it!
and it reminded me of the little video I watched by Ryan Hall who talks about his training for marathons (he holds the record for the half)... anyway.. he talked about how he runs faster for short periods during his long runs... just fast enough to be a change.. then slows it back down to the previous pace. Says it saves his legs cause when he goes faster it uses different muscles in his legs than when he goes the same pace the whole time :)
I think that same concept goes for going slower. I mean... if you think about it..you are doing what Ryan does... just opposite :)

I am so excited about your 10 miles! isnt that exciting! I mean.. girls... its 10 .. TEN miles!

(happy dance over here... with twirls and everything!)

oh.. and getting the book nxt time I go to the library :)

woowhooo! for you!

Popular posts from this blog

More Than One Way

Head in the Game

Old and New