Race Report

After raining solid for many days, we had a gorgeous day for the Lake San Cristobal 5k/10k race. Above, you see a picture of the lake. It's the most beautiful lake I've ever seen and I felt awed today as I ran alongside it for the 10K.
I knew that I'd be in the back of the pack, but I first realized that I would be dead last when the bus that shuttled us to the lake stopped to let the 5k runners off. Only about a dozen of us were left for the 10K. I looked around and decided to be happy that I would definitely be in last place. Still, the start threw me as the excitement tried to propel me forward to keep pace with those who I already knew were faster than me. I forced myself to keep my first goal in my head which was to NOT let myself keep someone else's pace. So a quarter of a mile into it, I re-claimed my intention to run at my own pace, and I tried to relax which quickly became my most important goal. I was miserable at first as my decision to be happy with my lot of last place flew from my head. It was hard to watch everyone get farther and farther ahead of me, but the worst part was that the deputy sheriff's vehicle that was controlling traffic was RIGHT behind me. I was painfully aware of the distance between me and the next runner ahead and of the vehicle inching along behind me. (on a funny note, I tried to get a pic of me running from the sheriff's car, but it didn't come out) I finally forced myself to relax as I realized I couldn't gracefully bow out and there was nowhere to go but the finish line. It helped, too, that the deputy sheriff is a friend. :) So, I just kept plowing forward. I finished in a record time for me, but way behind everyone else. Oh well, what can ya do but make the best of it, so I danced a silly dance as I came across the finish and thanked Charles (dep-sher) for his grand accompaniment. It's all ok. I knew that last was a possibility before I started.
Lessons I learned:
I worry too much about what others think.
Starting is the hardest part.
Finishing is next hardest.
Dropping out/quitting is not an option, and I'm glad.
Comments
I am so inspired! You came out of your box! You set goals for YOU and I KNOW you inspired many many other people! ..
:)
YOU ARE AMAZING!