a cool weekend

This past weekend was not only cool in temperature, but very cool indeed.  It was the weekend of the San Juan Solstice 50 mile run.  Above, you see the top 3 winners.  The guy on the left was first place, and this was his first ever ultrarun.  He described coming down into a meadow as he got near the end of the race and being surrounded by bull elk, all running along with him. 
 
The race begins in our little town and meanders up and over very rough terrain, across creeks, up steep rocky slopes...for FIFTY miles.  The coolest part?  I had a friend running it.  

I hung out at the park eavesdropping as the EMT's received radio reports about who had passed each checkpoint.  It was invigorating.  What a great way to mentally prepare for my 13 miles.  Some other gals and I decorated tee-shirts and went up to the next to last check point to cheer Mandy on.  While there, we watched many runners come through, change shoes and socks, eat some soup and carry on.  We got word that Mandy had dropped from the race, but we were still stoked that she had the courage to try!  And she ran 40 miles!  I plan to wear my "Go Mandy!" tee shirt for my Half just because she inspires me.

Fifty miles.  How cool is that?  I wanted to know, so yesterday I went to the first trail that the racers took as they made the ascent up and up.  My plan was to run that trail for a mile and then run back home to a total of 5 miles.  I got about a half mile up the trail (completely loving it...beautiful!) and then couldn't figure out where the trail went from there????  I climbed up a rocky embankment and still couldn't tell.  Climbed back down, scouted around, still...where did the trail go?  So I climbed back up another route...nope, no trail.  Hmmm...so I ran back the half mile to the road and ran home for a total of 4 miles instead of 5.  Oh well, it was a fun adventure, and I loved seeing the footprints of the 50 milers from the day before.  

I looked up some blog posts about the big race.  Here is one with some video.  There was a huge blizzard and about 50 runners dropped from fear of hypothermia.  My friend, Mandy, simply didn't go prepared for the weather.  She could have finished if she'd had tights.  

FIFTY miles...  I'll be running my 13.1 with new perspective and vigor.

Comments

Ruthie said…
OH MY GOODNESS>> HOW DID MISS THIS POST! ..
wow.
can I meet Mandy?
wow. she needs a blog.... so i can learn from her...
wow.

:)
I watched the video too on that guys site... oh my goodness... it was COLD AND really really high! .. two things I might have the guts to conquer someday...

inspirational for sure!

Popular posts from this blog

More Than One Way

Head in the Game

Old and New