Respect
One unexpected lesson in fitness awareness, running, lifting, yoga...is that of learning to respect my body and its boundaries and signals.
I ran the 12 mile mountain run (super fun-will do again!) without being really prepared for it. As a result, my hip has been bothering me and my upper back and neck too. I ran one 3 mile very easy, slow run to see how that felt, but it made it worse, so I'm on a leave of absence until Monday. Until then, I'm planning running, reading about running, talking with friends about running...but not running.
On Monday, I will try an easy, short run if my neck is completely better and my hip (which is better already) doesn't stop me.
I didn't mention the stress of the 12 mile run...I carry stress in my neck and shoulders.... My daughter decided at the last minute that she would come with me and run the 2 mile. GREAT! But then she got there and was nauseated. She's never reacted to nervousness that way, and so I was not sure if it was that or if she was getting sick. She said, "I really want to do this because I don't want to ruin it for you, Mom." Very sweet, but completely nerve-wracking. I started off the race with tension. I was upset and unsure about running 12 miles while my daughter was possibly somewhere away from home puking without me. It all turned out to be nerves and it was all just fine and was a great day, but it's no surprise that I would have a sore neck and upper back as I went 12 miles carrying a burden of worry on them. I simply could NOT relax.
So, here I am with soreness that is not the "work it out" variety, but pain....waiting so as to not seriously injure myself on my next run.
Just listening to my body and allowing myself a vacation. Speaking of vacations...we are going on a 2 day one. I won't post again until Monday! Have a great couple of days!
I ran the 12 mile mountain run (super fun-will do again!) without being really prepared for it. As a result, my hip has been bothering me and my upper back and neck too. I ran one 3 mile very easy, slow run to see how that felt, but it made it worse, so I'm on a leave of absence until Monday. Until then, I'm planning running, reading about running, talking with friends about running...but not running.
On Monday, I will try an easy, short run if my neck is completely better and my hip (which is better already) doesn't stop me.
I didn't mention the stress of the 12 mile run...I carry stress in my neck and shoulders.... My daughter decided at the last minute that she would come with me and run the 2 mile. GREAT! But then she got there and was nauseated. She's never reacted to nervousness that way, and so I was not sure if it was that or if she was getting sick. She said, "I really want to do this because I don't want to ruin it for you, Mom." Very sweet, but completely nerve-wracking. I started off the race with tension. I was upset and unsure about running 12 miles while my daughter was possibly somewhere away from home puking without me. It all turned out to be nerves and it was all just fine and was a great day, but it's no surprise that I would have a sore neck and upper back as I went 12 miles carrying a burden of worry on them. I simply could NOT relax.
So, here I am with soreness that is not the "work it out" variety, but pain....waiting so as to not seriously injure myself on my next run.
Just listening to my body and allowing myself a vacation. Speaking of vacations...we are going on a 2 day one. I won't post again until Monday! Have a great couple of days!
Comments
take it easy! :)