fun cardio... And ab update

I got up this morning and jumped on the trampoline outside with the kids and then finished up with my jump rope. It was a fun way to involve the kids. (I WILL remember to do abwork today!!!! )

Along Ruth's topic..involving the kids...I want to get my kiddos a good jumprope. It is amazing how much of a difference that makes! I try using their "child" rope, and can't get it really going, but I can jump my weighted rope over 100 times in a row. So, I think we could have some fun jumprope-a-thons. I think it is important to teach them to set a goal and then once reaching it, to try to make it one step more. For example, in jumping rope, I may shoot for a certain number of jumps and then I give myself the option to stop, or to do 10 more.

Also, I think that giving yourself the TRUE option to stop is just as important as the goal itself. I woke up this morning thinking, "I'm tired of doing this whole exercise thing." I decided to let myself off the hook if that was what I REALLY wanted. So, I thought of what it is exactly that I really want, and went out for cardio. As I was jumping, I was near the end of cardio and very tired. I decided that I could stop this set of jumping after 50 jumps. I hit 50 and did 10 more because I didn't HAVE to. Another time, I did stop because it is completely a choice, and I want to give myself the true option to do what I really want. I want my kids to be able to do that too. To realize that it is a choice.... I want to let myself off the hook if I don't make a goal and to keep moving forward anyway without giving up. And I want to teach that to my children. So, involving them and talking about the process as we are doing things together even if it isn't the same activity...I'm jumping rope, they are on the trampoline...is effective and fun.

*********************ab update**************************
The good news is that I did my ab workout. The bad news is that I ate some yummy fruit pizza (not as healthy as it may sound....) :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Loved the post! Can't wait to get home and be back on track. Love ya!
Ruthie said…
TOTALLY agree with you! I think I have finally figured out (after 13 months of this) that Life IS going to happen.. but this lifestyle is one I am CHOOSING! its so fun to have energy enough to be out with the kids riding bikes or jumping.... to be able to just get up and go and do whatever with them... I think I have finally found out that fitness and being healthy dont have to be a chore.. I have made it through my frustrations with "why cant I eat like everyone else".. realizing that If I really want to be different.. and for my family to be different (no couch potatoes, overeaters, etc.. ) then that means I must be involved WITH the kids.. not just passive ;)

Loved your post.. way to go on giving yourself some space to feel free and getting some cardio in too..

Funny how 90% of this whole thing is mental.. (for me anyway)


blessings

"believe in your dreams!"

Popular posts from this blog

More Than One Way

Head in the Game

Old and New