more muscle

After about 6 months of plateau, I decided to take four weeks to challenge myself to build more muscle to burn more fat.  I'm 5'5" and weighed 118 lbs and was a size 4 pre-pregnancies, many years ago.  After the births of my 3 great children and an autism diagnosis for my middle son, with all my energies toward that for the past recent years, I found myself at 170 pounds and, unfortunately, no taller.  hahaha!  I began Body for Life in September of 2006.  I went from a size tight 14 to a 4!  I'd gone from 170 pounds to 140!  I know that I don't care to reach 118 pounds because I have built more muscle than I had when I weighed that amount, but I also know I don't need to weigh 140 either.  Staying at about 19% body fat with a little muffin top above my jeans...I thought, "I can do better than this!"  So, a few weeks ago, I changed up my routine according to "Maximum Growth" which I downloaded from realsolutions.com.  Now, I've reached the end of my four week challenge (with a Christmas interruption!) and took my post challenge strength test and measurements before doing another 4 weeks!
Here are the results:
No more plateau!  I'm at 134.5 pounds now and am down 2.5 inches in my waist, up a half inch in my shoulders (which will make my waist LOOK smaller!), down a half inch in my thigh, and I'm much stronger!  Look at this!
I chose 4 lifts to test myself.  The idea is to choose a weight to lift that I can ONLY manage 5 reps and no more.
Pretest results are in blue, post test results are in red:
Bench press--60 pounds; 70 pounds
Squats--80 pounds; 160 pounds
bicep curls--20 pounds; 22.5 pounds
shoulder press--20 pounds; 22.5 pounds
Body fat percentage looks the same...go figure!  I can tell a difference in the mirror and in my clothes, etc.  Maybe I misread it before the challenge.  I dunno!  At any rate, I'm no longer standing on my plateau scratching my head!  :)  And I have discovered that I like to change my routine and have no fear of making more changes along the way.  I will begin another 4 week Blitz tomorrow!  And the free day idea will be limited to free treats or meals, not an entire day.  You may have noticed that I removed my water ticker a while back...I just couldn't remember to update it!  I'm still drinking my water though!  And I'm excited to try for 14 cups a day beginning Feb 1st until Feb 14!  Pictures!  I forgot pictures!  Sara and I will have to try to get that done and post.  Have a great Sunday!  (Monday, Tea!)

Comments

Unknown said…
Woohoo! Can't wait to take pictures! This Blitz is going to be Grreat!!!!
Ruthie said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruthie said…
sorry about the deleted post.. what i said (with no incorrect spellings this time :)

you buff Momma!
way to go!

I am so thrilled with your progress!
you have really increased in strength.. thats so cool!

I AM SO READY TO START TOMORROW!

THANKS FOR LEADING THE WAY!
Tearose said…
Congrats on breaking through the plateau! Can't wait to see t5he results you get from the next blitz!
sauchagirl said…
What an amazing story and truly inspirational for me. Thanks for sharing. You are on a great path! Keep up the great work!

Oh, I got Muscle and Fitness Magazine today and there is a whole article devoted to HIITs. : )
JW said…
Awesome job! You continue to inspire me!! :)
sauchagirl said…
Hi Josha,
Wondering how the blitz is going and looking for some pics you promised! Have a great day!
Ruthie said…
Blitz wkout#2 done.. how bout you?

Popular posts from this blog

More Than One Way

Head in the Game

Old and New