relax and run, ruth and ME!
Only have a minute, but wanted to say that yesterday on my 40 minute run, I took about 20 minutes to relax and get my mind and body on the same page. Does that ever happen with any of you? Your body seems to belong with some other non-running mind and vice versa???? I felt like a big clutz for the first half of my run and then finally fell into a rhythm when it was almost time to stop! Grrr. I just read Ruth's post about "relax and run" which is normally what I do, but some days, it just doesn't happen right off the starting line!
Here are some of my ways of relaxing while running (that FINALLY worked for me yesterday and normally work easily): I let my arms just hang and swing as I run for a few seconds, roll my head from side to side or shrug my shoulders. I look up and around. I count. I try to feel the air around me by concentrating on each part of my body to see if I can feel the breeze or the sun. I look for rock pictures in the cliffs. I think "here I am right now," to get my mind off of the destination. I don't allow myself to think of how far I have to go, but only that I am out there going. I look for specific colors, one day I look for everything yellow, another I look for everything pink, etc. One day, I looked for cloud pictures. another, I looked for smiley rocks my kids hid for me. :) Things that keep your mind from wandering too far ahead of you are really helpful!
Comments
wish we could sit in a hammock and run at the same time :) hehe
great job!
Have a great day Josha!